Wednesday 7 August 2013

Cold and Blue

Dear ol' Murphy, when you wrote down your silly little bunch of laws, did you have people like ME in your mind??? That is because when finally I got down my ass to study sincerely I was hit by a terrible attack of allergic rhinitis (a case of nose deciding to run to like a water tap with no apparent reason). My nose turned into the nose of the Rudolf the red nosed reindeer. And my eyes were so puffy that I might have cried out a river. I started yesterday with pancreas and all I could finish reading were acute and chronic pancreatitis. That’s it. Just two wee little topics (okay acute one is not wee, but look at the big picture) that’s all I read. Got too tired of blowing my nose, wiping my eyes and then trying to make some sense of the written words in the book, even though it is sort of revision for me. So I thought better to take a nap. And nap it was. Snoozed through the whole evening. You know actually when you are sick you get these weird cravings? While falling asleep I terribly wanted to have a large pizza and a tub of chocolate ice cream. Don’t worry I didn’t indulge in that. Those days are far behind me, when I would actually do that hiding away from the judging eyes of the world.
Finally I have learnt not to give into my cravings. I have realized one thing that I used to eat for two reasons. Out of boredom and out of depression. Whenever I am bored, now, I divert my attention to doing something less boring (at present my life is so full of interesting things, you know) till that feeling of stuffing my mouth goes away. I have learnt to actually ask myself do I really need to eat that thing or don’t you realize how many calories that stuff has. And depression. Well yeah, it hasn’t been completely wiped off my mental slate but it’s been buried down deep beneath the layers of joy and happiness, smoldering, waiting to raise its ugly head again.
When I woke up in the evening I was too tired to go to the gym and anyways it was workout day which I don’t really dig. I prefer cardio, I find it fun. I know that muscle training is equally important for weight loss, but I find it boring as I don’t have company over there. It’s always fun when you are working out with someone. More on my gym shenanigans later.
So after iftari (Ramadan going on) I had dinner early. I scoffed on Haleem that mother dearest had cooked. I was so full that I felt I was about to burst. Felt kind of heavy. Then it hit me. For the last three dinners I had gone overboard or fallen off the wagon. But I am not the one to blame. My mum has magic in her hands. Whatever she cooks its mind blowing delicious. On Sunday it was kadhai gosht with tandoori roti, Monday we had chicken handi and yesterday it was haleem. And I overate all the three days. How could I do that? I actually had a small panic attack. With Eid coming up this weekend and wifey coming home for the holidays, things are going to get pretty out of hand.
I went back to studying but all those antihistaminic pills I took made my kind of woozy. So had a brilliant idea (some people might call it stupid, more on that later on). I hit the treadmill with vengeance and kept walking for one hour and 20 minutes. No running, because we have an ancient specimen for a treadmill, it’s quite narrow and when a huge elephant like me runs on it, it creates quite a racket and I didn’t wish to disturb others’ sleep. Hell yeah. It felt so great. I huffed and puffed my way on it while watching Two and Half Men on my cellphone season 3 episodes 10-12. That actually removes boredom from the monotonous cardio. Got all sweaty and tired. But the rush of endorphins, the feel good hormones you get, totally worth it. Now comes the bad part.
Exercising right before you sleep is never a good idea. My body got so charged up that I had difficulty in falling asleep. I just lied in my bed staring at ceiling and trying hard to keep crappy thoughts away from my head. Also it’s never a good idea to drink 5 glasses of water before you sleep. Had to get up repeatedly to pee in the night. So the sleep was crap.
Thus completing the Blues part of today’s story, I woke up at 10:30 am. I was supposed to have finished half of the chapter of esophagus but am nowhere near the starting point. I am screwed.



No comments:

Post a Comment